Wednesday, July 30, 2008

105 years and still tickin'!



Work today was fun. I took Charles to Godfathers for lunch, and it was good to just chill for a while and get some odds and ends done at work. :)
After work I met up with Lauren and we picked up Grandma Sonia so we could all go over to see Evelyn Gullickson. Evelyn is an old neighbor friend of Grandma's. My dad knew her growing up as well, and I even met her a few times as a small child. Currently she resides in an assisted living apartment in New Brighton. Oh - did I mention that she's almost 105 years old?!! Meeting her was super fun! She totally threw me for a loop when I saw her again after so many years! She has more energy than most of my very own grandparents, and yet she has lived over a century! Her mind is very sharp, and she has such an energetic personality! She even asked about Lydia and Charles' wedding! It was so encouraging to talk to her with Lauren and Grandma. Her faith in Jesus was also astounding, and I have no doubt that her relationship with her Saviour is part of the reason for her longevity. She longs to be with her late husband in Heaven and in the presence of Jesus, but she also knows that God must have a reason for her to be where she is, and so she is content to serve Him here until her time on earth is done. Evelyn has so many friends at the home that love and care for her. Her family in CA even comes out to visit many times! What a blessing it was to spend some time with her!
After our visit, Grandma Sonia took Lauren and me out to Applebees. It was refreshing to catch up with Grandma and chat about life, upcoming events, and small talk. She is quite a blessing to me and my family. I couldn't ask God for better grandparents.
After Lauren and I dropped off Grandma, we drove to Southdale to the Cheesecake factory to meet Lauren's family! We ended up arriving several minutes before her family showed up, but we secured a large table and enjoyed each others company for a while. Eventually her parents and Danielle arrived and we had fun chatting and eating $1.50 cheesecake (it was the 30th anniversary of the Cheesecake Factory)!! Lauren's family is crazy awesome! We were at the Factory until after 11pm! Then we helped Dani move into her new house in Richfield! I think we were all up long after midnight! Her family has energy to no end (except Lauren that is)! :) It was quite the day - with lots going on, but I managed to enjoy every bit of it!! :-) pictures to come...!

No comments: